standby database ignores standby_archive_dest

From: <seismo_at_elvis.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2005 08:47:01 -0800

Hey guys.
This one's driving me nuts. I've done serveral automated standby databases but I'm running across a problem that I've never seen before. When I start up my standby database (startup nomount; alter database mount standby database;) and then do a recover standby database to apply any outstanding logs, everything goes fine. My archive files are in /ora_archive/prtlprod All that goes great, but when I go into managed standby, it seems to lose track of my archive destinations and looks for files in another location - like so:

SVRMGR> alter database recover managed standby database; alter database recover managed standby database *
ORA-00308: cannot open archived log
'/oracle/home/product/8.1.6/dbs/arch_278.arc'

so, not only is it looking in the wrong place for the archive logs, but 278 hasn't even been generated on the primary yet.

Any ideas? Here's my archive info from "show parameter archive". Of course, log_archive_dest1 and dest2 are ignored since this is a standby.
BTW, this is an 8.1.6.0.0, so, I'm on an unsupported version. We plan to go to 9i in a few months.

SVRMGR> show parameter archive

NAME                                TYPE    VALUE
----------------------------------- -------
------------------------------
log_archive_dest                    string

log_archive_dest_1                  string
location=/ora_archive/prtlprod
log_archive_dest_2                  string  service=oaihppp3_prtlprod
log_archive_dest_3                  string

log_archive_dest_4                  string

log_archive_dest_5                  string

log_archive_dest_state_1            string  enable

log_archive_dest_state_2            string  enable

log_archive_dest_state_3            string  enable

log_archive_dest_state_4            string  enable

log_archive_dest_state_5            string  enable

log_archive_duplex_dest             string

log_archive_format                  string  _%s.arc

log_archive_max_processes           integer 3

log_archive_min_succeed_dest        integer 1

log_archive_start                   boolean TRUE

log_archive_trace                   integer 0

standby_archive_dest                string
/ora_archive/prtlprod/prtlprod Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 10:47:01 CST