Re: Rate of change of the database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 15 Mar 2005 06:36:49 -0800

akabazzi_at_bgchurch.org wrote:
> I am a new admin and new to oracle but I have been charged with
finding
> out the rate of change of the database. I have been told I can
probably
> use the logs to do this but looking at the logs is not getting me
> anywhere. I beg the oracles (pun intended) to lead me down the right
> path. What can I do t measure the rate of change of the database?

The first issue I see with this is how 'rate of change of the database' defined. Is this rate of change of the data (DML)? Rate of change of the schema objects (DDL)? Each is different, and I would get this defined before you go any further.

The second issue I see relates to the first, in that you do not have a baseline established with which to compare. You can only measure a rate of change relative to a baseline measurement; once you get the definition of 'rate of change of the database' defined you can set a baseline measurement and proceed with your analysis.

If the desired information references the data and size of the database DBMS_STATS can help you. Using the GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS or GATHER_DATABASE_STATS procedures can generate data-related information about your database or schema; querying the views DBA_TABLES, DBA_INDEXES and DBA_TAB_COLUMNS after either of these procedures have been run should provide a report for the current state of the data; preserving these reports can produce your 'rate of change' monitoring your superiors desire.

As you state you're a beginner in this it might be best to visit:

tahiti.oracle.com

and peruse the documentation, especially on the DBMS_STATS package. Please feel free to return for any questions or concerns you may have regarding use of this package, or for any queries you may need to write to extract relevant information.

Good luck.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 08:36:49 CST