Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:04:50 -0500

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1110867703.420309_at_yasure...
> Mark C. Stock wrote:
>
>> ah, reporting...
>>
>> displaying to the web?
>>
>> you could extract the relationally stored data and wrap it in HTML and
>> use CSS's
>>
>> or you could just as well wrap the extracted data in XML and use one or
>> more XSLT transformations -- at least you're separating the data from the
>> presentation (of course this is XML vs HTML, not XML vs Relational)
>>
>> or you could wrap the data in XML and use XSLT to feed it to FOP to
>> produce PDF output
>>
>> or -- just generate the FOP input from your own PL/SQL library routines
>>
>> or, strap on your boots and jump into Oracle Reports ServerLand
>>
>> I think there's a place for XML to live and play in the vicinity of the
>> database, besides just being a data transport mechanism. But perhaps
>> that's the actual role in these scenarios, to. A transport mechanism to
>> the report formatter (except of course, for Oracle Reports reports)
>>
>> Not to be overlooked is the use of XML for Developer Suite Forms and
>> Reports definitions. Sure is nice to have a human readable version of the
>> source code again.
>>
>> ++ mcs
>
> Please excuse me my prejudice but I don't consider the web reporting.
>
> Crystal Reports? Cognos? Discoverer? Brio? Business Objects? Oracle
> Reports? These are reporting. Displaying something on a web site almost
> never involves going after detail transaction data, creating multiple
> layers of aggregation, etc
>
> I didn't say never so lets not go chasing ghosts.
>
> With respect to MS Office and Oracle's new-found fascination with XML
> as you mention in Developer Suite let me make one very clear statement:
> I don't form my opinions on the basis of what Oracle, or any other
> software vendor, chooses to implement in a product: Even Oracle.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

MS Office? Fascination? Have you ever been in politics? ;-)

It's the utility and functionality that it brings to Developer Suite that I appreciate, not that Oracle has 'endorsed' it by using it in DS

I also found it interesting that when working with DS/AS configuration files, there are 3 or 4 or more different file formats to keep in mind, with different meanings for CR characters -- the structure that XML brings --- in the right situation --- is a nice simplification.

++ mcs Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 05:04:50 CST