Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:24:53 -0800

Mark C. Stock wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Galen Boyer wrote:

>>>Didn't you state that that was an abomination in some other message?
>>
>>No ... not at all.
>>
>>I said it was when used to transport data to and from an application
>>which is not what it was designed for. That is very different from
>>transporting information between applications: Messaging.
>>
>>In the first case I pass the same verbose text repeatedly. In the
>>later only one time in one direction. Yes a message may come back
>>but it won't be precisely what was sent.
>>
>>So, for example, I have information about invoices. An invoice is
>>created and the data stored 1X relationally. This is good. Someone
>>querying the database to create a report or print an invoice queries
>>relationally too. And reporting happens many many times.
>>
>>But if I am now transmitting an order to my supplier's system that is
>>an inter-system transfer and it happens only once ... and thus XML is
>>appropriate.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

> ah, reporting...
>
> displaying to the web?
>
> you could extract the relationally stored data and wrap it in HTML and use
> CSS's
>
> or you could just as well wrap the extracted data in XML and use one or more
> XSLT transformations -- at least you're separating the data from the
> presentation (of course this is XML vs HTML, not XML vs Relational)
>
> or you could wrap the data in XML and use XSLT to feed it to FOP to produce
> PDF output
>
> or -- just generate the FOP input from your own PL/SQL library routines
>
> or, strap on your boots and jump into Oracle Reports ServerLand
>
> I think there's a place for XML to live and play in the vicinity of the
> database, besides just being a data transport mechanism. But perhaps that's
> the actual role in these scenarios, to. A transport mechanism to the report
> formatter (except of course, for Oracle Reports reports)
>
> Not to be overlooked is the use of XML for Developer Suite Forms and Reports
> definitions. Sure is nice to have a human readable version of the source
> code again.
>
> ++ mcs

Please excuse me my prejudice but I don't consider the web reporting.

Crystal Reports? Cognos? Discoverer? Brio? Business Objects? Oracle Reports? These are reporting. Displaying something on a web site almost never involves going after detail transaction data, creating multiple layers of aggregation, etc.

I didn't say never so lets not go chasing ghosts.

With respect to MS Office and Oracle's new-found fascination with XML as you mention in Developer Suite let me make one very clear statement: I don't form my opinions on the basis of what Oracle, or any other software vendor, chooses to implement in a product: Even Oracle.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington