[?] ODBC connection troubles

From: Vladimir <evesq_at_uk2.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:16:37 +0300

Hello,

I have a 10g server is running on Win2003 comp, and I want to connect to it from WinXP client computer using ODBC.

  1. I downloaded Oracle client (from http://download.oracle.com/otn/nt/instantclient/instantclient-basic-win32-10.1.0.3-20050113.zip), unpacked it onto a client comp, set the PATH variable to that folder
  2. Tried to connect:
    data source: MS ODBC driver for Oracle server: Win2003ServerName username: sysman password: sysman_pwd

And I got an error ORA-12514: TNSlistener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I'm a novice in Oracle, and what can I imagine is I have to create a correct tnsnames.ora file on the client comp. But where have I place it to, or how to register it?

Thanks. Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 11:16:37 CST