Re: Suggestions wanted ..

From: <andrew_webby_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2005 07:26:36 -0800

Check out the init.ora parameter _disable_logging=true. From http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/import_speed.htm

"With _disable_logging = true, the call to write redo is still made, but the actual file-write it not made. Thus you want to make the redo files extremely large as checkpoints still occur when the redo logs are nominally full.

Of course, there is no such thing as free lunch. Without logging if you have any kind of server crash, then there is no way back. Thus this is a good parameter to have for populating (say) a test instance. For a production instance, you want to be very sure of your backups before using this. "

While I am doing this in production, I take the view that if my import fails for some reason, then I'm probably going to be better off recreating the database clean rather than try to recover and somehow work out how to instruct IMPORT to carry on where it left off. Check out the

Weigh up the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

Check out the import parameters RESUMABLE, that can help with imports running out of space etc

HTH AW Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 09:26:36 CST