Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle ++ which tier for business rule validation

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:54:34 -0500

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:423591f6$0$21046$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Mark C. Stock apparently said,on my timestamp of 15/03/2005 12:21 AM:
>

>> is would say, what 'must' be done, not which 'can' be -- i can't imaging
>> too many data interchange apps where there isn't some checking of the
>> data outside of DRI and constraints.
>
> Sure there are heaps of other business-related checks.
> But business rules are really not database territory, are they?
> At least, I don't want to take the argument into that land...

oh boy... i feel thread divergence coming on

this would be the classic debate about in which tier the business rules are enforced

i'm a database-centric guy. i think that's why we have object types and the like. i don't want to hand of data cleansing and validation to another tier and hope no-one comes into the database via a different path.

but, there are server-centric types as well.

... i'll leave that for another thread

++ mcs Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 07:54:34 CST