Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:21:05 -0500

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:4235846b$0$21030$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Mark C. Stock apparently said,on my timestamp of 14/03/2005 10:56 PM:
>
>> Simple validation can be handled with constraints, and sometimes with a
>> combination of function based indexes and UK constraints, but quite a few
>> business rules must be enforced via triggers on the tables or a PL/SQL
>> code in a trigger API.
>
> There were NO business rules in the example given as a "great XML
> invention".
> All I saw were very basic data definition constraints.
> I am perfectly aware of what can be done with PL/SQL triggers, thank you
> very much.

is would say, what 'must' be done, not which 'can' be -- i can't imaging too many data interchange apps where there isn't some checking of the data outside of DRI and constraints.

perhaps that's the case with the example you reference (not sure which it is since this thread has gotten so long and messy), but i don't think that's typical.