Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:56:39 -0500

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:42357809$0$21008$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Hexathioorthooxalate apparently said,on my timestamp of 14/03/2005 12:56
> AM:
>>

>> Come on please. You perform some validation in stored procs and triggers.
>> You don't just allow the data to be inserted without checking it do you,
>> especially if the external schema is stored procs effectively exposing
>> the database through an API ! Only in substandard implementations would
>> you NOT check the information.
>
> Apparently, some idiot manager at work has decided we cannot post on
> the Usenet. Must have been promised a job by you-know-who.
> <sigh>, some arseholes think they can shut others up...
> Like I care what him and his "security" cohorts come up with!
>
> Anyways, sorry for delay.
> No, we do not perform validations in stored procs and triggers.
> Try to learn how things are done in a proper database before venting
> something like that!
> I need not write a SINGLE trigger to implement the "validations"
> you describe as "something new XML brings to the table".
> That is what a serious database does for you: save you coding all
> that crap.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> in sunny Sydney, Australia
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

Basic entity integrity and relational integrity can be done without triggers, sometimes augmented with function based indexes (btw, AFIAK, XML schemas cannot enforce relational integrity outside of an XML Schema hierarchy, but Oracle's XML DB supports constraints on XML data when stored in object/relational tables).

Simple validation can be handled with constraints, and sometimes with a combination of function based indexes and UK constraints, but quite a few business rules must be enforced via triggers on the tables or a PL/SQL code in a trigger API.

XML Schema validation handles some things DRI and constraints cannot (patterns, min/max members of a set) and DRI handles some things DRI cannot.

++ mcs Received on Mon Mar 14 2005 - 05:56:39 CST