Re: Simple archive question

From: utkanbir <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2005 00:36:34 -0800

Hi Arun ,

These are the steps and error message:

Starting form the beginning:

  1. shutdown immediate
  2. copy all files to a backup location . (al files including control redo undo)
  3. startup and create some tables insert data commit.
  4. archive log all;
  5. shutdown immediate.

at this state , select * from v$log says the current log seq is 295 , it is not archived . Log 294 is inactive and archived . These are the only logs defined since this is my laptop.

now i start recovery:

  1. copy files back to the original location apart from redo logs.
  2. startup mount
  3. recover database using backup controlfile;

It returns with error :

ora-00279 and ora-00289 . In ora-00289 it says it needs arc295.001:

Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

This log is the current log and it is in redo log files not archived . At this
point i choose <ret> option but since the log is not archived i got the same error and recovery fails.

Since seq 295 is not archived and inside the redo log files , why does the recovery ask the archived location?

These are the steps . I still havent understood the point i missed .

Kind Regards,
tolga