Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:39:30 -0800

Hexathioorthooxalate wrote:

>>And the purpose of my original example was ...?
>>And my frequent references to i/o were ...?
>>And my frequent references to extra bytes were ...?

> Most if not all of what you have said comes down to perceived unacceptable
> overhead because of XML verbosity. And what I have said all along is that I
> agree it is verbose. And what I have said all along is that there is more to
> XML that the size of the stream. I have said that if middleware processes
> are talking XML too, by having an XML aware database you can avoid an
> impedence mismatch between the middleware and the database. I have said too
> that XML offers a very effective and often thorough mechanism of data
> validation. And does this validation carry a cost? .

But it has yet to dawn on you that middleware processes talking XML are also a gross waste of resources.

The solution is to use XML for those purposes for which it was designed. To transfer data between systems and applications. For any other purpose it is just using a nail because the only tool you understand is a hammer.

Reminds me of someone whose code I was reviewing that had just learned about native dynamic SQL. His code:

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'COMMIT WORK'; The syntax is valid. It certainly compiles and runs. But it is far from an optimum solution. So you can push XML uphill until your back breaks but many of us will just say no when we see it being used inappropriately.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington