Re: Why are optimizer hints required?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:33:54 +0000 (UTC)

I don't think it's documented - but I may be out of date. I have a few test cases with 10.1.0.1 that I haven't yet re-run on 10.1.0.3:

index i1 (n1, n2)

The index was used for a particular query if put in the hint:

    /*+index (t1 t1(n1)) */

but not if the hint was

    /*+index (t1 t1(n2, n1)) */

So it looked like:

    partial specification of correctly ordered leading edge

Looking at my hint, though, it could be that the comma is not supposed to be there. So when I re-install 10g, I'll run a more thorough set of tests.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated March 9th 2005