Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Hexathioorthooxalate <ruler_at_removemetoemail.clara.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:02:20 -0000

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:42344106$0$30049$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...

> Hexathioorthooxalate apparently said,on my timestamp of 13/03/2005 10:50
> PM:
>
>> What the heck do you think an XML schema is, or even a DTD. It is the
>> rules, the contract, that the data must adhere to. This seems like
>> SOMETHING to me.
>
> NO, most definitely NOT. It is a DESCRIPTION of the rules.
> It is NOT a way of enforcing the rules. For that, you MUST
> write code! Don't try to sidestep the issue, you can't do
> that here.

Noons the code you write is the XMLSCHEMA. It is a way of enforcing integrity of the data. If XML is inserted as an XMLTYPE and the table column is schema validated, if the information in the XML is not valid the untrapped SQL operation will fai (eg an SQL INSERT will fail). Further, a higher level of rule enforcement can be implemented through the validate method. It is a way of enforcing the integrity of the data, the rules! There is no side stepping here. This is part of what it is all about. Received on Sun Mar 13 2005 - 08:02:20 CST