Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:33:02 +1100

Hexathioorthooxalate apparently said,on my timestamp of 13/03/2005 10:50 PM:

> What the heck do you think an XML schema is, or even a DTD. It is the rules,
> the contract, that the data must adhere to. This seems like SOMETHING to me.

NO, most definitely NOT. It is a DESCRIPTION of the rules. It is NOT a way of enforcing the rules. For that, you MUST write code! Don't try to sidestep the issue, you can't do that here.

Once you MUST write code, you have the definition of an overhead in development, maintenance AND processing.

If you DECLARE the rules in a relational schema, you do NOT have to write ANY code to get them enforced: the database does that for you.

Now, THAT is something!

> Like I said read it up. You need to be a bit more informed before calling
> someone else ignorant.

I HAVE read it up, FCS! Ages ago. Don't assume that a database practitioner is by definition unaware of the latest developments, it is a fundamental mistake. In case you haven't noticed Oracle was one of the first databases to provide support for XML. And many other technologies. What authorizes you to think people who work with Oracle do not know these very well?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto