Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Hexathioorthooxalate <ruler_at_removemetoemail.clara.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:50:44 -0000

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:4233bf57$0$30093$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Hexathioorthooxalate apparently said,on my timestamp of 13/03/2005 4:24
> AM:
>

>> It appears to me you do not like XML because of the sole reason that it
>> is verbose.
>
> No. Because it is UNNECESSARILY verbose. There is a difference.
>
> Because databases are not made to store REDUNDANT data.
> In fact, one of the most fundamental tennets of database
> design is to AVOID redundancy. That is PRECISELY
> why we have normalization.

Yes, XML is verbose. I agree. But remember you are not storing this verbosity. You
are NOT storing redundant data. You are not storing zillions of copies of tag information. Get it! This argument is just plain wrong

> Total bullshit. There is NOTHING in XML that ensures integrity to data.
> Stop uttering crap like that, it only shows your total ignorance of
> data management.

> Are you completely ignorant or just trolling?
> You described NOT A SINGLE thing that can't be achieved much more
> efficiently in validation using relational.
>
> And you have the NERVE to claim this is unique to XML and somehow
> distinguishes it as doing more complete and safe validation?

Look. I am not advocating storing information in XML over and above storing things in relational database tables. My argument is why not store XML in databases? This is what Daniel said in his original post, and resulted in my initial query.

> Total bullshit. There is NOTHING in XML that ensures integrity to data.
> Stop uttering crap like that, it only shows your total ignorance of
> data management.

What the heck do you think an XML schema is, or even a DTD. It is the rules, the contract, that the data must adhere to. This seems like SOMETHING to me.

> Get lost! I don't have time to argue platitudes with total
> ignorants.

Like I said read it up. You need to be a bit more informed before calling someone else ignorant. Received on Sun Mar 13 2005 - 05:50:44 CST