Re: help: How to refrence a column over the database link

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 Mar 2005 19:18:43 -0800

IANAL_VISTA wrote:
> "charlie cs" <cfs3526_at_ureach.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi, group, in PL/SQL, if i want to refrence a column over the
database
> > link, something like this
> >
> > Declare
> > v_1 tableA.columnA%type_at_db_link;
> > Begin
> > end;
> >
> > but it is not working. Could somebody tell me how to do it?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> "not working" is less than obvious.
> Since you won't share any specific error information,
> You're On Your Own (YOYO!)

Such a wonderful sentiment. That aside, I expect it's your declaration which is 'out of whack'; apparently you don't work with database links very often. You should be referencing the table name and column name from the database link, then adding the '%type' at the end:

 Declare
 v_1 tableA.columnA_at_db_link%type;
 Begin
 end;

Had you thought this through for a moment you would have realised you declare such variables as:

v_1 tableA.columnA%type;

So it only makes sense to add the dblink information immediately after the column name, not after the '%type' declaration.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat Mar 12 2005 - 21:18:43 CST