Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:23:12 -0800

Hexathioorthooxalate wrote:

>>Nothing moves anywhere without running through the CPU. Given disk is
>>cheap one could potentially overlook all of this but what can not

> Daniel, the XML isn't stored as a CLOB, it is shredded & recomposed! The
> argument is valid if were storing XML as a LOB.

<SARCASTIC_FLAG>
And nothing in what you just wrote strikes you as adding massive overhead to CPU and i/o?

>>h and decrease performance
>>by pushing huge numbers of unnecessary bytes.

> And why is it decreasing performance.

Gee I don't know. I guess the number of bytes is irrelevant to performance if you say so.

  Read what I have written in the other
> posts. For you to validate information you would need a barrage of stored
> procs etc to check data validity etc.

Not at all. I would need to store the data relationally. Perhaps you need to learn about normalization, primary key, unique key, and referential constraints.

  This can be done in an XML schema
> OUTSIDE the database if you choose.

So can gutting any other aspect of system scalability and performance. You can kill applications in numerous places.

  Actually, by default, XML inserted into
> an XMLTYPE column in a table isn't fully validated anyway - you have to
> explicitly do this.

Your point being what? That storing XML requires even more overhead than you acknowledged above.

</SARCASTIC_FLAG>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington