Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:31:00 -0800

Hexathioorthooxalate wrote:

> Hi Daniel, may I ask for you elaborate a little further on this please?
>

>><RIDICULOUSLYLONGTABSIGNIFYINGNOTHING>X</RIDICULOUSLYLONGTABSIGNIFYINGNOTHING>
>>
>>XML is fine for front-ends but doesn't belong in a database unless the
>>object is to spend money on hardware.

> There is an inference in what you have written that
> RIDICULOUSLYLONGTABSIGNIFYINGNOTHING occupies much space in the database or
> significant CPU overhead to process (the hardware reference). You have
> specifically not written this however so I ask for you to clarify?
>
> Regards
> Hex

The storage, unless parsed to relational, wastes all of that space. CPU? Nothing moves anywhere without running through the CPU. Given disk is cheap one could potentially overlook all of this but what can not be excused is the waste of network bandwidth. Why would anyone with a working synapse choose to increase bandwidth and decrease performance by pushing huge numbers of unnecessary bytes.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington