Re: migrating from sql server 2000 to oracle 9i-r2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:49:18 -0800

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Oracle treats '' as NULL - this is not ANSI SQL compliant,
> as correctly stated before.

I do not believe you are correct. It is Oracle that is ANSI compliant and SQL Server that is not.

Reference:
Tom Kyte
Expert one-on-one Oracle
Chapter 1, page 38

"SQL is supposed to operate under tri-alued logic and Oracle implements Null values the way ANSI SQL requires them to be implemented."

and

"For example SQL Server supports the ANSI method of Null comparison, just not by default (it would break thousands of existing legacy applications built on that database)."

Just a wild hunch ... but I doubt Tom got it wrong.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington