Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:40:31 -0800

derkan_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are using text version of oracle Forms 4.5 in unix environment and
> planning to upgrade to another programming environment. As because
> forms web version having performance problems, I am seeking alternative
> programming areas to do web development. Our business logic is about
> %70 in stored procedures. Our system is an OLTP environment.
>
> Now my question... Regarding performance and programming speed, what
> are the trends? Java is nice but not as a Forms plugin(jInitiator).
> Server side development in Java is my preferred option but for the
> explorer side, what is your option for XML-XSL templates? And are there
> any complute solutions for this kind of development?(IDE, framework,
> support..)
>
> Regards
> Erkan Durmus

I would take a serious look at ADF, mentioned and linked by Shanmuhanathan, and PHP5. As far as I am concerned J2EE and Java are being used inappropriately in most cases and the vast majority of those writing it are ill-trained and shouldn't be allowed near a database. Dot-Net is a bad architecture forcing work on an inadequate and insecure platform. And who else can I trash ... XML doesn't belong in databases. So ... ADF and PHP5 would be my picks.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington