Re: tns error

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Mar 2005 08:02:02 -0800

Ian wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed Oracle 10g on Solaris 10X86.
> Install appears to have gone okay but when I type sqlplus the prompt
asks me
> for the username/pwd
> Whatever I enter I get the following error :ORA-12162: TNS:net
service name
> is incorrectly specified
> Don't fully understand what is wrong,
> Any Pointers appreciated,
> My tnsNames.ora file is below, My SID is MYORA
> Thanking you
>
> MYORA =
>
> (DESCRIPTION =
>
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
>
> (CONNECT_DATA =
>
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
>
> (SERVICE_NAME = MYORA)
>
> )
>
> )
>
> EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
>
> (DESCRIPTION =
>
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
>
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
>
> )
>
> (CONNECT_DATA =
>
> (SID = PLSExtProc)
>
> (PRESENTATION = RO)
>
> )
>
> )

If ORACLE_SID is not set you'll see this error with a valid username and password. A simple

c:\> set ORACLE_SID=MYORA

will usually correct the problem. Alternatively you can enter sqlplus in this manner:

c:\> sqlplus username/pass_at_myora

and you should be successfully connected.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Mar 11 2005 - 10:02:02 CST