Exceptionally slow 9.2 import

From: <gibboniser_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2005 05:24:07 -0800

Hi, I'm trying to import database onto my 9.2 Personal Server on Windows XP Pro to debug a specific problem for a client. The backup file I'm restoring is not huge (approx. 60Mb), neither are the tablespaces into which the data is being restored - 150Mb and 450Mb. On my previous machine (1GHz PIII processor, 512Mb RAM, Personal Server 8) I don't ever remember such an operation taking more than 30 minutes.  However, on my newer machine (1.6GHz P4 processor, 1Gb RAM, Personal Server 9) it takes hours and hours - I left it running overnight, and hadn't even completed by the middle of the next morning.

When I examine my system's resources, I see that the Imp and Oracle processes are using somewhere from 0-4% CPU time and 1Mb / 125Mb memory respectively. Increasing the priority of the processes makes no difference.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this, I'd be very, very grateful!

TIA Received on Fri Mar 11 2005 - 07:24:07 CST