Re: Strange question

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:07 -0500

"Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message news:s5adnZ6J_aWZSq3fRVn-ug_at_comcast.com...

> "Pawel" <pmg3REMOVETHIS_at_op.pl> wrote in message
>> I'm currently preparing to 1z0-007 exam, and I'm trying to solve some of
>> the exam problems from the TestKing publication.
>> I've come across a strange problem:
>>
>> "A SQL query cannot display data from table B that is referred to in its
>> subquery, unless table B is included in the main query's FROM clause"
>>
>> According to the provided answers, this is FALSE.
>> However, I typed into SQL*PLUS a following statement:
>>
>> SELECT e.last_name, (SELECT d.location_id FROM departments d
>> WHERE d.department_id = e.department_id) LOCATION
>> FROM employees e
>> /
>>
>> (I'm working with the HR schema provided with Oracle database)
>>

>> ....and it works perfectly, even though table d is not referenced in the
>> main query's FROM clause....
>>
>> Is it a mistake in the TesKing's material???
>
> yes.
>
> a lot of such questions on such exams are based on unstated assumptions,
> and on obsolete versions of oracle -- others are just plain wrong.
>
> not a good indicator of the insight of managers and policy makers who rely
> on certifications and other irrelevant tests
>
> ++ mcs

in light of Gump's post... looks like I have to retract the 'yes', as I did not read the OP as carefully as Gump

| The stated answer is "FALSE".
|
| You have produced a SQL query that proves that stated answer is
| correct.  That is, you CAN display data from table B that is referred
| to in its subquery where table B is NOT included in the main query's
| FROM clause.

so, my apologies to TesKing

my rant about poor quality exams and their place in management decision making is inapplicable to to this situation

(still don't like certification exams, though)

++ mcs Received on Fri Mar 11 2005 - 06:17:07 CST