Re: migrating from sql server 2000 to oracle 9i-r2

From: <rogergorden_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 11:52:07 -0800

Dan;

You said;

7. NULL means NULL not an empty string

But in an earlier post on oracle.misc you and Frank van Bortel both agree that
NULL and the empty string are "one and the same"

Frank van Bortel wrote:
>> I concluded from this that empty string and null in Oracle are one and
>> the same (at least as far as PLSQL), which is very different that in

>> just about every other language.

> Right. As documented, as known, as being taught in Oracle Basic
> SQL, 2nd day, before lunch.

> Oh - and it's not just PL/SQL, but SQL, too.
> PEBKAC
> --
> Frank van Bortel

You wrote:
"In my class it is covered in the first 2nd hour of lecture."

I my class, I teach that:

7. NULL means NULL not an empty string

So not to re-open a flame war, but which is it?

Is NULL and the empty string one and the same? (or is this just for PL/SQL)
or does NULL mean NULL and not an empty string?

Roger Received on Thu Mar 10 2005 - 13:52:07 CST