Re: Oracle ASM

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 10:47:12 -0800

Yesterday at the HOT SOS symposium in Dallas I just heard a respected Oracle consultant recommend the use of ASM for the reasons that it is the future direction of Oracle, its abilities to add and subtract disks from the database, and the fact it masks the physical disk from the db and is in fact a step toward simplification.

I have seen a few posts regarding bugs in the product but none of them involved a serious issue like data corruption.

The next release of 10g is due out soon. I think you might want to consider implementing it then.

Disclaimer - We are not running 10g and therefore we are not using ASM.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 10 2005 - 12:47:12 CST