Toughie: Java Stored Procedure & SyslogAppender

From: <fahdshariff_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 10:17:28 -0800

Hello,

I want Oracle to be able to send messages to syslog. So I thought of writing a Java program that uses the SyslogAppender class of Log4j to do this. This program works fine and messages are indeed written to syslog (and eventually picked up by Tivoli, our monitoring system).

However, when I try to load the class and all associated jars into Oracle and then try running it, it doesnt work. No messages are output.

Could it be that its just not possible to write to syslog from Oracle?

I've even tried simple messages: log.fatal(mymessage); and it still doesnt work. I know that I have loaded everything needed; it compiles and no errors are output.

Any ideas?

--
Fahd Shariff
http://www.fahdshariff.cjb.net