Re: Simple archive question

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:47:28 +0100

utkanbir wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am trying a very simple recovery but have not achived it yet.Here
> what i try to do:
>
> This is a test database on my laptop , oracle 9.2.0.5 is installed and
> db server is in archive log mode.
> After stopping the db server by using shutdown immediate , i copy all
> the data file ,redo log files , control files etc to my backup
> location. Then i restart the db , make some transactions (someof them
> are nologging some of them are logging operations) . Archive all the
> redo logs by using archive log all . Then at this point , i want to
> return to my previous backup and recover the dbserver up to the latest
> point in order to see which operations are really logged and recovered
> :
>
> 1. I copy all the files from my backup location to the original
> location.
>
> 2. startup mount
>
> 3. recover database ;
>
> At this point the command fails and says recover database using backup
> controlfile is necessary. Why?
>
> 3. recover database using backup controlfile;
>
> this command applies each log , it says for some of the logs they are
> not required , at the end it asks for an archived log number which
> does not exist and fails.
>

> Then recovery stops.
>
> What point do i miss here? It seems very simple and staright forward
> but it fails.
>
> I will be appreciated ,if some one can help me.
>
> Kind Regards,
> hope

OK - so you have a cold backup.
What happens, is you need no recovery at all, not when you copy all files back from your backup location. All files are in sync (you did a shutdown before copy), so there's nothing to recover.

The fact oracle comes up with another scenario means you did not copy back all files (or you did not copy them all in the first place - this does not matter for the outcome).

We can only guess.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel