Re: Oracle installation problems

From: <matthewf_boi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2005 13:21:26 -0800

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> t_pascal_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > I think it is generally well known that Oracle has the shittiest
> piece
> > of installation software in this godforsaken industry full of
really
> > bad, really shitty products.
> >
> > Solaris installation: 3 weeks to operational database
>
> I was up and running in about an hour and a half, tops, incouding
> creating a new database from scratch. I can't understand why it's
> taken you three weeks to get an Oracle database up and running on
> Solaris.
>
> > Linux installation: 3 days to get the installation program up and
> > running! 2 weeks and counting for operational database
> >

> Supported versions take about the same time as it took me for
Solaris.

> > If you just pop in an MS SQL CD, you'll have an operational
database
> in
> > an hour. Jeeezus, I never thought I'd be singing the praises of
Bill
> > Gates.
>
> Hmmm, I'm guessing it's the operator, not the software, causing the
> problems ...
>

> David Fitzjarrell

I guess I have the same 'loose operating nut' at my place. I followed the explicit instructions on Dizwell's site for installing 10G on Whitebox linux and never could get a DB to start up and be operational.
The install itself actually went pretty ok - just never could connect and get anywhere.
I finally formatted the box and installed WIN2K3 and then put 10G on that. Received on Wed Mar 09 2005 - 15:21:26 CST