Re: Public access to V$PARAMETER values?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:08:04 -0500

"Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies_at_upscene-removethis.nospam.com> wrote in message news:112u2r131kf5jcd_at_corp.supernews.com...

>> You can connect with SQL*Plus and use command SHOW PARAMETER
>
> Any non-application-specific functions/commands?
>
> (you've guessed it, I'm not using SQL*Plus)
>
> --
> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL & MS
> SQL
> Server
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com

OP wanted public access

SHOW PARAMETER is just a shortcut to SELECT ... FROM V$PARAMETER, it does not bypass database security:

SQL> connect scott/tiger_at_orcl
Connected.
SQL> show parameters
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

To grant public access to V$PARAMETER (not recommended) you need to grant SELECT on the underlying dynamic table SYS.V_$PARAMETER

You may want to consider granting SELECT to a role, then selectively granting that role to only users that 'require' access, or use some other mechanism to expose only select parameters

What's the underlying need for accessing V$PARAMETER by non-DBA users?

++ mcs Received on Wed Mar 09 2005 - 09:08:04 CST