Re: rman (again..and again..:-)

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:26:07 GMT

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:46:36 -0800, bdbafh wrote:

> GreyBeard,
>
> Apologies for nitpicking here, but RMAN works just fine for me against
> a mounted database running in noarchivelog mode. Some databases
> (warehouse) don't necessarily run in archivelog mode.
>
> -bdbafh

Pick any nits you want - I learn that way as well. My comments based on need to do open database backups.

I agree with your statement that some databases don't use archivelog mode.

Not sure why though - during operations the should be an absolute minimum of redo aside from security related stuff (and that's stuff I'd want to have archived), so I see a minimum of overhead with some potential benefits - with Streams and LogMiner, I see the may be the possibility of other reasons in the future. But I now wonder whether my thinking leads to a myth?

In any case, from the "Recovery Manager User's Guide", chapter 5, section on Backup Sets, we see

"
When backing up datafiles, the target database must be mounted or open. If the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, then the target can be open or closed: you do not need to close the database cleanly. If the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode, then you must close it cleanly before making a backup. "

Makes me wonder whether OP is attempting backup while DB is open?

/FGB Received on Tue Mar 08 2005 - 11:26:07 CST