Re: .net and oracle's (10G) object relational features ?

From: Stu Charlton <stuartcharlton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2005 05:17:51 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1109883142.393605_at_yasure>...

> I do. But then I teach at a university just 2 miles from the main
> Microsoft campus. Word in the halls is that .NET is going down as the
> sales of new licenses is near 0 and the revenues, based solely on
> upgrade, insufficient to maintain Ballmer's lifestyle.

Licenses of what? The .NET framework is a free download and bundled with recent versions of Server 2003 and XP. Or are you referring to Visual Studio .NET?

I work for a competitor in the J2EE space, and from what I can see at our customers, .NET certainly isn't dying. It's not taking over the universe, by any means, but it remains competitive in certain industries. The financial industry, in particular, is using .NET to build some fairly large financial trading systems -- equity, fixed income, and derivatives, that I'm personally aware of. Then again, Wall Street has also used COM. And CORBA. So I'm not sure what this proves, other than -- there is activity in high places.

As for the "next version" of .NET, well, .NET 2.0 "Whidbey" is due out soon. Indigo, the next-generation transaction processor & web services framework (replacing COM+), is based on .NET (and it's not vapour, bits have been out since late 2003).

So there will be successor frameworks, kind of like how Java has evolved a lot from 1.0 to 5.0. But the core of .NET - the class libraries, common language runtime, C#, etc., will be foundational to the new stuff. It would be a sensational shock (borderline panic!) to the entire Microsoft development community if they "replaced" this core prior to 2010.

But of course, Oracle will still be humming along throughout this drama.... ;)

Cheers
Stu Received on Tue Mar 08 2005 - 07:17:51 CST