Keep Pool Question

From: Brian <brian_at_databaseknowledge.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 12:43:00 -0800

Many people suggest that the keep pool is ideal for small tables which are accessed frequently and the keep pool should be sized large enough to hold all of the objects designed for the pool. I've never actually used the keep pool.

I am working with a 2 node 9iR2 RAC db 130G in datafiles, each node has 8G of ram. At the moment the buffer cache is 3.3G. The db is running fine, no complaints from users, buffer cache hit ratio is always > 97%.  The db queried like an OLTP system and data is loaded 24x7 in an non-bulk fashion.

At the moment only the default pool is in use. I am considering adding 1-2 gig of ram exclusively for the keep pool. I have a list of frequently accessed objects and I've been monitoring v$bh, so I know what's in the buffer cache most of the time. It would be pretty easy to find 1-2 gig of objects that will fit in nicely in the keep pool.

There are 3 tables which are 630M, 336M and 1152M which are constantly being queried/insered/upated/deteted. And there are a bunch of smaller tables which are accessed a lot.

Any recommendations? Is 1-2gig of keep pool to much? Any problems with putting 1 or 2 of the large tables and a handful of the smaller tables in the keep pool?

Brian Received on Mon Mar 07 2005 - 14:43:00 CST