Re: rman and catrman.sql

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:01:26 +0100

Vince <vincent@ wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I would like to backup a database using rman, but apparently, it
> requires a catalog to be set up, isn-t it?
> so, i created a new user 'rman' with anough rights,
> sqlplus sys
> SQL> create user rman identified by rman;
> SQL> alter user rman default tablespace tools temporary tablespace
> temp;
> SQL> alter user rman quota unlimited on tools;
> SQL> grant connect, resource, recovery_catalog_owner to rman;
> SQL> exit;
>
> ..and I can't find catrman.sql (oracle 8i) to create the catalog
> schema so I typed at prompt:
> rman catalog rman/rman
>
> to create catalog..but can't log because user/pass doesn't exist...
>
> Well...first question, any idea ?
>
> second:
> must one set up a catalog before backup with rman?
> if not, how could we do, so ?
>
> thanks a lot, Vince.

You don't need a catalog. Almost any recovery can be executed without a catalog.

According to the documentation, catrman.sql was pre-8.1.5, you should be able to do:
create catalog tablespace 'TOOLS';

I would take a look at rhe RMAN documentation, if I were you, and decide whether or not you want a catalog. All the commands to create one are there as well, along the commands to create a backup, using RMAN. http://otn.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.to_index?pathname=server.817%2Fa76990%2Findex.htm&remark=docindex

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel