Re: Version control of Oracle Stored Objects.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:37:58 +0100

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:19:06 +0100, Marc Blum <blum_at_marcblum.de> wrote:

>In my experience, production DBAs aren't knowledgeable enough to do this. We had
>to ensure from development, that "unplanned" changes won't happen. The described
>triggers are part of our products/projects.
>
>Sorry, but to often I have to tell prod DBAs, how to secure the production db.
>Bad trained monkeys.

My experience is completely to the contrary. I have consistently to cope with third party firms, who don't secure the database at all, and when we start questioning this, they state that nothing can be changed, because in that case the application won't work anymore.

I am convinced when we would conduct a statistical survey, this kind of incompetence is quite common, so usually the developers are 'bad trained monkeys' and incomptetent and ignorant, and only the production DBAs are really concerned by such lack of security.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA