Re: some basic Unix for an Oracle startup DBA

From: Ralph <want_2_learn_more_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2005 21:28:21 -0800

Thank you Netcomrade, Nuno and CC.

I have some basic knowledge (more than some - I know how to use vi editor without having to look up the commands, know basic file/search/... commands, done some shell scripting, etc). However I had never done Unix admin or much design/configuration work there esp. with respect to oracle.

I dont know the answers to what I had posted. For example, I learnt that in c0t0d2s4, t is target device, but I do not know what a target device is. I have a few books on Unix and Linux including Bill Calkins' Inside Solaris 9 and Evi's Linux Admin book. I cant find that in them.

I am also trying to find out about some shared memory segment parameter details. Oracle says set SHMMAX, SHMMIN, etc. to certain values, but doesnt explain what they are clearly. (I have to admit I didnt read all Oracle manuals).

CC: What you are saying is pretty much what I hear from others - Go Linux if starting new. But, I guess my questions on Linux still remain the same. I will have to learn about file systems and anything and everything to be a good Oracle DBA. Received on Sat Mar 05 2005 - 23:28:21 CST