Re: Version control of Oracle Stored Objects.

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 01:01:50 +1100

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net apparently said,on my timestamp of 5/03/2005 3:01 PM:

<large x-posting deleted>

> It has been my understanding that Visual Source Safe should disallow
> more than one copy of a file to be checked out, local copy or not.
> That being the case how on earth do you end up with two or more
> editable copies of a file?

If the developer gets a package off the database, quickly edits/compiles and then starts working on something else off a file, it is quite easy.

> I'd investigate why this occurs and put a stop to it at once, by
> ensuring all developers use VSS as it's intended. Several good
> suggestions to ensure compliance have been given you; use any or all of
> them to help fix this mess.

It's hard. PLSQL Developer gets the code from either the database or a file. So there is really no control and it is easy for a developer to do the wrong thing, intentional or not. Same happens with Toad.

One way of making it harder is to give each developer a single logon and not let them use each other's. Then they can compile their own packages off the database or CVS, with relative insurance that only what comes off CVS will be copied and compiled into a final unit test logon.

Even with this, it's still hard to control dependencies.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto