Re: Performance problem: anything else I can do to make this faster?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:07:06 +0100

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:27:17 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>sconover_at_gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Dan - We have no such issues. I won't post anymore on the topic of
>> constraint use. If you'd like to discuss further, contact me
>> privately.
>>
>> -Steve
>
>I have nothing to add and I wasn't the one with the performance
>problem.
>
>So ... if you would like to discuss it further feel free to contact
>me off-line. Otherwise I've pretty much indicated my feelings about
>front-end developers that think a database is a file system.
>
>BTW: Please keep my email address available. Contact me in a year or
>two and I'll refer you to a good consultant in your area to clean
>things up.
>
>Best of luck.

The OP responded unsolicited to me privately he is convinced when you have a fully normalized datamodel you don't need primary keys and foreign keys. He still prefers to have all integrity enforced in the application. I explained to him this is a) slower b) dangerous as you are checking non-centralized. I also stated both issues have been proven over and over again.

We both know he is going to fail sooner or later, and he will need a DBA to clean out the mess. In fact, as my company focuses on outsourcing, and our customers usually bought their application, cleaning out messes caused by third party developers is my main job. We are now dealing with a third party developer in Hong Kong, delevering an app for Dutch public transport. Both Oracle and the application are installed in /export/home, and the Hong Kong firm states this can't be changed as the application will stop functioning.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA