Re: Network throughput limited to 1/25 th network capacity

From: CC <ccarson_at_syrrx.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 13:42:43 -0800

Yea, there are dozens of things to look at before looking at oracle I would think. (this is reinforced by the fact that even your ssh connection seems slow. If ssh is slow to you, then everything you do over that connection will be slow) Also, if your cpu on the server is pegged and you have compression enabled on the ssh server, this will also create a bottleneck. You can easily test this by disabling compression on the sshd server itself. (its in /etc/ssh/sshd_config by default on most systems now)

I would first look at the route your packets are tacking. Using traceroute (tracert.exe on windoze) and ping you can tell if any routers along the way are overloaded and/or dropping packets. This will make a connection seem slow as packets must be re-transmitted.

Look at the network config on your client. Is your duplex correct? Make sure there isn't an IP conflict.

Also, I assume you are meaning command line stuff as oracle's gui apps run horrible over ssh tunnels or even by simply exporting your display directly to an X server. Don't know why but oracle java apps have always been like that. I have a full T-1 from my work to my home and our network at my office is full gigabit to the desktop and even with this config I cannot run Oracle's java gui apps over ssh. In the past when I tried to install using the gui installer I literally had to wait 2-3 minutes between mouse clicks for the window to update. I have used sniffers and just about every other tool to try and see what the problem is and have yet to find it. I started a metalink call last year regarding this issue and Oracle's answer was to use a silent installation. Even though the total data throughput the oracle installer was using was miniscule, it performed as if it was saturating the bandwidth.

On the exact same setup I can run various IBM and Veritas java apps remotely w/o problems. (and the veritas client is moving much more data than the oracle installer) I even played around with different MTU settings at one point as well. A simple ftp of a 2gb file gives me throughput around 500k/sec but the oracle installer or the dbaconsole are so laggy they are unusable.

I have just assumed at this point that it is in the code itself and how oracle is performing screen updates or something. If you search google you will find scads of other people citing similiar experiences.

So far all Oracle has told me is to use a silent installation for now and that future versions are going to be better. (and with 10g it seems things are moving to a web-based interface which is much better imho)

If anyone else has seen this problem and knows the cause please post. It has been irritating me ever since they went to the java installer. Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 15:42:43 CST