Re: Raid Stripe Size.....

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 13:15:07 -0800

Noons wrote:
> Joel Garry wrote:
> > >I know it is not necessary. It is however darn convenient. ;)
> >
> > Unless you have multiple tape devices!
> >

> Not really. Even with multiple devices, the thing
> you don't want in a recovery is to have to mount
> one extra tape for the last few Mb of data file!

Well, you seem to be assuming the tape is going to be smaller than the database. Over all the versions I've worked with, I find that rarely to be the case. (And the same applies to tablespace, if that is the unit of recovery you are making the volsize based on [did I say that right? :-].)

Anyways, isn't a growing database going to need another tape or 12 eventually no matter what size? That's been my experience. The experience I want to avoid is some stupid backup manager that has to hunt all over the tape for each file even if you are restoring everything.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
They _are_ in Kansas again!