Re: .net and oracle's (10G) object relational features ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:50:22 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1109953991.126024_at_yasure...
> It should come as no surprise to anyone that at Oracle Corp. they
> are currently working on both versions 11 and 12 of the database.
> But no one is going to walk away from the product because we all
> know what they do will be very compatible with earlier versions
> and there will be a very easy upgrade/migration path.
>
> So why would anyone doubt that at Microsoft they are also working
> on the next version? That shouldn't be controversial. The question
> is more one of backward compatibility and that is the one place
> where Microsoft has repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to make
> its licensees recode and incur a huge cost of upgrading.

That isn't exactly what you said though. You said that we should look at PHP5 and other products because .net is dying. Now you seem to be talking about a version upgrade to something, you haven't yet said what. Later this year 'the replacement for .net' will be announced. Just to be clear are you saying that folk in the halls at the University who work for Microsoft are saying semi-publicly that .net is going to be replaced this year? If not what did you mean exactly?

btw, you can still code against com, com+ and dcom in .net. No doubt this is similar to the way you can carry on your old forms 3 and designer code to jdev and 9iAS?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA