Re: Network throughput limited to 1/25 th network capacity

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:04:09 +0100

Andreas Sheriff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm connecting to an Oracle 8i database tunneled through ssh connecting
> across the internet and the data transfer rate is consistently slow. The
> rate is approximately 1/25th of the lowest upstream/downstream common
> denominator (512k DSL upstream). I know it's not the tunneling that's
> slowing it down, nor is it the connection via SSH, but the connection that
> Oracle makes itself. The database was hosted in the local network before
> (100Bt) and the transfer rate never got above 4mbps (1/25 X 100 mbps). I've
> even tried it through my 802.11g wireless connection to the local network
> and the transfer rate never got above 2.2 mbps ( 1/25 X 54 mbsp).
> The connection is configured to use TCP.
> Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to optimize the Oracle TCP
> connection so that it will be faster?
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas

Seems to me it's your client, not the database. There's no way of knowing what interfaces are in between, cat 5 cable, or a wireless interface, or a tunnel. The fact that -no matter what- you get 1/25 of your bandwidth seems be be somewhere else. Internet configuration perhaps? Bandwidth limiter?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel