Re: Performance problem: anything else I can do to make this faster?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:54:13 +0100

On 4 Mar 2005 08:20:01 -0800, sconover_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Dan,
>
>Suffice it to say we're very aware of the prevailing constraint
>orthodoxy, yet we still choose not to use them (it doesn't mean we
>wouldn't if there were some other practical reason). I know they can
>go a long way to making order out of chaos in the situations many DBA's
>are faced with.
>
>As I said I realize people have strong feelings about constraints,
>which is why I was hesitant to bring it up. If you'd like to discuss
>the subject more, feel free to contact me privately.
>
>-Steve

There is nothing orthodox about it. It is a fact of life enforcing constraints in a front-end is invariably slower, and is not centralized, so part of your front-end may not be enforcing them. The strong feeling about constraints are a result of the fact some people need to cover up their asses, an activity which most third party developers master like no one else.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA