Re: Performance problem: anything else I can do to make this faster?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:31:21 -0800

sconover_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Suffice it to say we're very aware of the prevailing constraint
> orthodoxy, yet we still choose not to use them (it doesn't mean we
> wouldn't if there were some other practical reason). I know they can
> go a long way to making order out of chaos in the situations many DBA's
> are faced with.
>
> As I said I realize people have strong feelings about constraints,
> which is why I was hesitant to bring it up. If you'd like to discuss
> the subject more, feel free to contact me privately.
>
> -Steve

The alternative is to not build the constraints and build the indexes that the constraints would have built. It seems you need the indexes. So look at it from the other standpoint ... of what possible benefit is not having the constraints if the indexes must be built.

This is something of a religious issue for me I will grant as I believe that best practices should always be used whether one is building a normalized schema or closing a pointer. But if someone wishes to not follow "best practices" one should at least be willing to acknowledge the minimal if any cost that would have been incurred in doing so.

My guess is that if you tried to apply the constraints to the database you would fail because in fact there is a loss of data integrity. And my further guess is that the developers know it and this is their way of covering up. Just guessing I will grant you but guessing based on seeing it all before.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington