Re: .net and oracle's (10G) object relational features ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:36:17 -0800

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>I do. But then I teach at a university just 2 miles from the main
>>Microsoft campus. Word in the halls is that .NET is going down as the
>>sales of new licenses is near 0 and the revenues, based solely on
>>upgrade, insufficient to maintain Ballmer's lifestyle.

> Well I'm not sure I normally count gossip as evidence.

Gossip is not evidence. But when the people talking are Microsoft employees working on the project I give it a bit more weight.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that at Oracle Corp. they are currently working on both versions 11 and 12 of the database. But no one is going to walk away from the product because we all know what they do will be very compatible with earlier versions and there will be a very easy upgrade/migration path.

So why would anyone doubt that at Microsoft they are also working on the next version? That shouldn't be controversial. The question is more one of backward compatibility and that is the one place where Microsoft has repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to make its licensees recode and incur a huge cost of upgrading.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington