Re: Oracle question from a Sys. admin, re: Solaris performance

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:12:25 +0100

Ed Stevens wrote:
> Sybrand,
>
> Not that this really answers the OP's question, I'm beginning to
> wonder if they aren't creating a separate instance for each user ....
> it was this statement that leads me to that:
>
> "get everybody and their brother to use this product so for all I know
> we could be doubling ot tripling the amount of instances before"
>

> Thanks.
>
> - Ed Stevens

Oh, that would probably be out of security considerations: can't have more than one active user in one instance (makes you wonder how the hell they're allowed to have more then one applications on the same server) ;-)

OTOH it's probably too much for an application not to use the same user all over the place, so that would explain the situation as well.

Or worse: It's an application ported from MS SQL or something like this and since you need a different database for each application there, it's reasonable that you need that with Oracle, too?

What? Different Schemas in one server? Must be kiddin!

;-)

Cheers
Holger Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 08:12:25 CST