Re: .net and oracle's (10G) object relational features ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 03:48:00 -0800

steph wrote:
> > The relational tables maintain data integrity and the object views
> > deliver the data the way the developers would like to receive it.
>
> What I wonder is just how to deliver the objects into the
application.
> I must admit I'm a bit of a newbie on this topic, but I guess it must
> work somehow like fetching the object via a REF and then querying
it's
> attributes? And how to interface to the database? There's 'Data
> Provider for .NET', 'Provider for OLE DB', 'Oracle Objects for OLE'
> (mentioning only Oracle's stuff) - it's a bit confusing to me.

I'd be looking at using ODP.NET if you can, that is the managed code client (like the ms sqlclient). I can't help you with the object extensions, never used them, but can point you at the .net developer centre if you haven't found it yet
(http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/dotnet/index.html) in particular it would be worth asking in the forums there. If you use VS.Net you might like to look at the Oracle Tools for that ide that are listed there, they are definitely beta, but definitely worthwhile as well.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 05:48:00 CST