Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:31:05 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1109919756.676133.141430_at_l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Mark A wrote:
> > Daniel is very upset, however, that DB2 for AS/400 and VM, and z/OS
> have
> > different code bases from each other and from DB2 for Linux, UNIX,
> and
> > Windows. This is true even though Oracle does not run on AS/400 or
> VM, and
> > is not used in production very often on z/OS (formally known as
> OS/390).
>
> Careful there, Mark. Last time I went throught the
> mainframe vs Unix vs AS400 db2 differences, there were quite
> a few that can spring on the unwary. Like different limits
> on field names, lengths, table names, name lengths, and so on.
> Unless you are aware of those and you code for the least
> denominator, you can get royally stuck with all this
> "runs the same everywhere". It may run the same, but
> it DOES have different limits that may affect your code if
> you are not aware of them and code defensively.
> It's a far cry from being just a difference between "/"

I don't know how many time I have to say this:

DB2 for AS/400, DB2 for VM, and DB2 for z/OS are all different code bases, and they are all different from DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (which has its own single code base).

I never said that one DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows runs the same (operationally) or is completely SQL compatible with the other DB2's that run on AS/400, VM, and z/OS. They certainly are not. I never recommended that one develop on one platform and run on the other (unless it is within the Linux, UNIX, Windows family).

This thread got off on a tangent when Daniel (incorrectly) said that going from DB2 for UNIX to DB2 for Windows is like going to Sybase because they are so different. That is completely wrong, since DB2 are for Linux, UNIX, and Windows are all virtually identical (except for OS stuff) and all share the same code base.

Actually, the name of the product is actually "DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX, and Windows" and all OS versions/fixpaks are released at the same time and they all share the same manuals.

But I don't understand how someone can complain about incompatibility with DB2 on other platforms, if Oracle does not even run on those platforms (AS/400 and VM) or is not widely used on the z/OS platform where DB2 for z/OS is dominant (even though Oracle does run on z/OS).

One interesting thing not mentioned previously is that DB2 for Linux does run on IBM mainframes, albeit not on z/OS. Some people run SAP on that Linux platform on IBM mainframe hardware.

Maybe now this thread should return to the questions asked by the OP. Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 01:31:05 CST