Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:08:33 -0800

Gert van der Kooij wrote:

> In article <6q7f21prtalrm2ukrte4jsm5fdjsk1so92_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand
> Bakker (postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl) says...
>

>>On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:01:18 +0100, Gert van der Kooij
>><gert_at_invalid.nl> wrote:
>>

>>>You're mixing up things. As Serge and others always said the
>>>Unix/Linux/Windows codebase is the same, only the lowest operating
>>>system layer is different. I guess this is the same for Oracle.
>>
>>No. Oracle comes with it's own Virtual Operating System on board.
>>

> Which I guess is almost the same as an operating system layer?
> I don't know how this is organized in the DB2 code but logically it
> should be the same as Oracle's VOS.
>
> Kind regards, Gert

Always the same. I can take a PL/SQL package written on *NIX and run it on anything from a mainframe to Windows to a Mac and no code change is required. Export from any one and import into any other. Transport a tablespace from any one and attach it to any other.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington