Re: Oracle question from a Sys. admin, re: Solaris performance

From: Snewber <snew_at_snew.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:02:43 +1000

We run at least 30 instances on a sun solaris 12 processor box (400Mb processors) with 12Gb RAM. It is fairly easy to determine which instances are consuming CPU just with top and then ptree.

We use ksh shell scripts which extract both OS and database information to monitor performance quite effectively.

The trick with managing the instances is to balance memory use with physical reads. Not enough memory allocated to an instance will cause increased physical reads which impacts all other databases on the same mountpoints. But, too much memory allocated can cause excessive paging or swapping, so you need to balance this out.

I generate daily reports for every database that tell me how much cpu and how many physical reads each database consume (information comes from auditing logons at the oracle level - an absolute must in my opinion), I then tune accordingly. This method has worked quite well for our box, with IO being minimised however, available memory is now quite low which will stop any more databases being created.