Re: .net and oracle's (10G) object relational features ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:25:53 -0800

steph wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're evaluating pros and cons of using Oracle's object relational
> features together with a .Net application. Currently this application
> uses pure SQL, i.e. objects are transformed into table records bofore
> they are put into/outof the database. I found in Oracle's documentation
> something about creating a layer of object-views above the relational
> model, thus an object oriented application would communicate with a
> database by just transferring objects.
>
> Has anybody done something like this with .net? Are there any
> performance issues? Are Oracle's .Net-interfaces supporting this at
> all?
>
> Thanks for all the input,
> Stephan

Use relational tables and layer over them object views with instead-of triggers.

The relational tables maintain data integrity and the object views deliver the data the way the developers would like to receive it.

One caveat ... .NET is dying. Microsoft is likely later this year going to announce its replacement. So this is not necessarily a good time to begin investing in the technology. Take a serious look at PHP5 and other viable alternatives.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington